Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:30:07 -0400
When I started keeping bees, the colonies I bought had AFB. I followed the
State Bee Inspector's advice: killed the bees and burnt the frames. That
included a chimney fire with the supers which was fairly exciting.

I did use Terra for about three years after that, but stopped and have never
bothered to use it since.

The incidence of AFB in Maine has stayed about 4% and that seems consistent
with the commercial colonies that come in for blueberry pollination.

The only time I have seen it since is with a beekeeper who had it, did not
treat or burn his equipment, but took his bees to blueberries and
contaminated the other pollinator's hives.He no longer keeps bees.

As a hobby beekeeper, I would not, and do not, treat if there is no sign of
the disease. If there is a sign, and it is fairly easy to spot, I would burn
the infected equipment. My experience is that if you do that, you are free
from worry over it still being in the boxes.

This thread started a a question from a beginner who indicated he had no
mites or disease and if he should treat..

However, my question still stands which is how do you know that you have
neither mites or disease? For me that is really the key as to what action to
take. My concern is, that as a beginner, you might not recognize that you
have problems. I certainly did not. It took the visit from the Bee Inspector
to inform me I had AFB.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine