From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2018 19:42:18 -0500
Hi all
I mentioned Danny in my 2012 ABJ article on Bee Breeding:

To conclude, I would like to mention the
great efforts and success of Danny Weaver.
He has shown that hard work, sacrifice and
science can merge to produce real results.
Danny was an early promoter of the project
to sequence the honey bee genome. Meanwhile,
he quit doing mite treatments in order
to develop a large population of bees that
could survive and prosper despite the presence
of the ubiquitous varroa mite. Beginning
in 1967, Weaver was for many years
the only source of Buckfast queens and bees
in North America, developed long ago by
Brother Adam against the tracheal mite,
which seems small compared to varroa, but
which nearly wiped out beekeeping in the
British Isles. The Weavers are at the forefront
of the quest to produce a bee which is
a composite of positive qualities, adaptable
and capable of being challenged by today 's
beekeeping needs, and not in need of an expensive
life support system.

The article was followed by one on :
The future of bee breeding
American Bee Journal. Volume 152, Issue 8, August 2012, Pages 791-794

preceded by
The history of bee breeding
American Bee Journal. Volume 152, Issue 7, July 2012, Pages 679-683

Copies available on request.