From:
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 00:28:01 +0100
In message <sd80b2ad.039@mda-grp>, Blane White <[log in to unmask]>
writes

>Are all field
>AFB finds confirmed in the lab before hive destruction?

Yes - it was a UK outbreak that was mentioned. All samples are tested in
the Central Science Laboratory and confirmation goes to the Bee Officer
involved and the beekeeper. Only AFB and EFB are ever reported whatever
else is detected. Destruction follows a.s.a.p. after confirmation of
AFB. There is some discretion when EFB is found, depending on colony
strength, % comb affected and time of year.

>When colonies are destroyed for
>disease control only a few states have any kind of reembursement in
>place.

In the UK we have a voluntary insurance scheme. I gather that costs
exceed income at the moment and the scheme may fold. AFB is very rare in
my part of the UK, though there has been a couple of recent detected
occurrences. EFB is much more common by virtue of our intermittent
flows.

--
James Kilty