From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 18:40:21 -0700
Hi all on BEE-L

Peter Borst wrote:
This is not easily understood by someone not familiar with
your terminology. Normally, when one wants to broaden the
genetic base, one imports bees from other geographic areas.
Do you do this?

Reply:
No we do not. We use honeybees from our own geographic
region in the feral. Do you think that geographic regions
are small in genetics?

Peter further wrote:
When you say: "complex mongrels and hygridization peeled
off" I don't think anyone has any idea what you are talking
about. I certainly don't. It sounds like you are doing some
sort of selection, but based on what characteristics, is
not clear.

Reply:
Peter, I am talking retrogressive breeding here for areas
of complex mongrelization where several races/strains of
bees are determined to be. It should be a multi-step
process beginning with separation of yellow races/strains
from dark races/strains, followed by seperation of colour
by caste size to be followed by separation of remaining
bees by physical characteristics other than size. It is not
an overnight process.

Peter further wrote:
How do you recognize a "complex mongrel" and how do you
"peel off" hybridization? If you are sincere about wanting
to contribute to the study of bee breeding you should try
to use terms that other people can understand.

Reply:
A complex mongrel maybe obtained by the participation of
three or more races/strains and one peels off hybridization
by retrogressive breeding in a multi-tiered program over a
span of several years.

For more information please see Apiacta XXX, 20-29, 1995

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby