From:
Brenda Wishin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 12:26:49 -0500
Is this a fable?  It's  funny enough!
How about a little joke?

What did Winnie the Pooh say to his agent?
SHOW ME THE HONEY!

----------
From: Andy Nachbaur (by way of Andy Nachbaur
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: More BS on Killer Bee's...
Date: Tuesday, August 05, 1997 11:28 AM

<center>Killer bees in Northern California arrived on a sugar boat from
Hawaii and the queen got away?

<<http://www.pointcast.com/cgi-bin/hotcoco.cgi?location=www.hotcoco.com/poin
tcast/>

</center><italic>Published on August 5, 1997

</italic>

<flushright>

<flushright>

BY TONY MERCADO

 <smaller>TIMES STAFF WRITER

</smaller>----------

<flushright>CROCKETT -- Here's a helpful tip from the county's agricultural
commissioner for those unlucky enough to stumble upon a hive of killer
bees: "Run a little faster and a little farther," Ed Meyer said.

Gee, thanks.

The buzz around Crockett that killer bees may be in town has some residents
there, well, slightly bugged.

"Bees? Are you serious? Oh, that's just great," lamented Ryan Segelre
hearing the news for the first time. "Guess it's time for me to move."

On July 21, a crew unloading a ship for the C&H Sugar refinery in Crockett
discovered a cluster of the insects, also known as Africanized honey bees.
There is no guarantee the insecticide used killed all the bees.

"We're hoping the swarm will not be able to get established if it did
survive being sprayed," Meyer said. "At this point if they survived, we
would have no idea which direction they would've gone."

Contra Costa County agricultural officials issued a warning Friday
describing the behavior of the bees and what precautions to take if coming
in contact with a hive or gathering of bees.

The warning, however, set off a swarm of phone calls by concerned residents
over the weekend to the county department of agriculture. The office
received 15 calls Sunday and another 20 calls before noon on Monday.

Meyer said on Tuesday his office would likely begin to set bee traps in the
area surrounding the C&H plant and walk around some of the neighborhoods to
search for signs of a swarm.

Denise Moore, a waitress at Emilio's Cafe, said the killer bees have been a
topic of conversation among some of the restaurant's regulars. But she
thinks the tales surrounding the bees are "pretty outrageous."

"I think it's kind of over-hyped," Moore said. "I'm not too concerned about
them. I don't think they're really killer bees like the kind in an Alfred
Hitchcock film."

The winged pests in that classic movie were actually birds, but you get the
idea. In either case, Africanized bees are dangerous because they are far
more aggressive than common domestic bees when it comes to protecting its
hive, Meyer said.

"Their stingers are no more venomous, but in terms of sheer numbers, there
are more working to defend the hive," Meyer said. "The killer bees will
chase you twice as far away from the hive."

Tammi Keller said she plans to keep a close eye on her young children when
she brings them down to the park near her home. Her daughters, 8-year-old
Adriana and 10-year-old Samantha are too curious for their own good, she
said, and may be unlucky enough to find killer bees.

"I wouldn't be scared," Samantha declared. "I'd just use a fly swatter."

<smaller>Edition: WCT,  Section: A,  Page: 3

</smaller>

<<http://www.hotcoco.com/graphics/copyrite.htm>) 1997 Contra Costa
Newspapers Inc.

<center>