From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:04:14 -0400
>Although I very much enjoy hearing everyone's opinion, surely someone must
>have at one time or another put the top (summer) entrance question to the
>test in a controlled trial.  Can anyone offer any hard data?

this is a perennial topic if there ever was one! back in August of 1999:

I've read repeatedly, in this NG and elsewhere, that the holes in the supers do
help with ventilation of the hive. The concern that some have though is that
these holes can also provide entry to wax moths.

Despite all the concern for "improved" hive ventilation, I haven't
seen any objective research showing that it actually helps the bees
(please speak up if you know of any).

-- still waiting, I guess