Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 09:59:49 -0700
Tom wrote;

> A neighbour of mine was stung by 3 of my bees lately.

> The same man was stung twice last year - 1 sting each time separated by
> about a month and he had little reaction. He told me that he was not on
the
> medication last year. Is there a relationship between medication and the
> severity of reaction to bee venom.?

The others are right about your liability in this matter, if proven they
came from your hive. Unfortunately most people (not necessarily your
neighbor) will go throughout their lives saying "I'm allergic to honeybees"
when in reality, it could be from any of the flying world.

Your neighbor, when stung the one time, had no reaction but when stung
three times within a short period, had a reaction. His system can not
tolerate that much venom. As we get older our systems brake down. The most
danger comes when stung on the hands, arms and from the breast up which can
cause the throat to close. This happened to my friend Roy Nettlebeck in
which he lost air for two miles, while his wife drove at a high rate of
speed to the waiting paramedics, who laid him down and put a tube in his
throat and a shot in the arm.

I myself, had to see an allergist and take shots for five long years,
before I over came the problem. By no means am I bragging when I say that
last season I was stung 42 times, but to show that something can be done
for those who have a problem with the "bee". We should all be educating the
public on what to do about their venom reactions so they won't go through
life always afraid.

Joe McManus
9240 N.W. Klahowya Trl.
Bremerton, Wa. USA