From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:39:30 -0400
Just thought i would pass on some information.   This spring I got the "privlage"  of running in canola.  Weather bit us big time with a ton of rain, and cold..   Night temps in the mid 40's daytime high 50's to 60 degrees.

Some hives made fair honey other ZIP.  but  the point of my post is the honey itself.  You have heard it will crystallize in the comb.   Rest assured it will,  while still on the hive or stored.  it does seem to have 2 levels of  progression.  the first it turns milky white and has the viscosity of super wet sugar.  this can be extracted,  but must run at least 2 times as long to get it.  The second stage is hard as fudge.    No way it will extract,  and in fact will stop the blades on a silver queen.

Reliquify is tough,  it needs to be held around 120 for 3-4 days (in the comb)  110 will not do it,  115 is marginal at best.  After that you can extract (be sure to let comb cool to 90 or less or it will blow out)

One extracted it seems to have a very sandy content ( I thought sugar) and will clog filters quickly.  this "sand" does not seem to reliquify,  and reminds me of maple syrup sand.

DO NOT LEAVE IT IN EQUIPMENT.  it will turn hard withing 24 hours at room temps of 70.

It is also the most hydroscopic of any I have ever processed.  Leave a residue on the equipment and it will be puddles the next day.  seems to draw water so fast its scary,  and will ferment.  make sure you close containers tightly.

So, if your running canola,  don't wait till season end to process,  run it every week.  clean out equipment,  and watch your filters,  they plug quickly.

Dang clad to be back running wildflower honey!

Charles