From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:23:15 -0500
Aaron made several good points...but:

1. I have kept bees for over 30 years in locations relatively near Aaron
and, until last year, never used terramycin.  Last year I used it to clear
up some EFB in about 5 hives, but didn't use it for the other hives.
2. I know another beekeeper nearby who has not used terramycin for "over 10
years", and has not seen any AFB.  Moreover, he is a commercial beekeeper
who would recognize it if it were there.
3. I am fortunate to meet beekeepers from around the country as I travel to
seminars.  It is not unusual for "old-timers" to report that they have not
treated and not seen AFB for 20+ years.  Nor is it unusual for newcomers to
report that they have never used terramycin "because we didn't know it was
necessary".
4. I know one queen breeder who does not use terramycin and reports that
they "occasionally" see both EFB and AFB and destroy bees and comb from
both.  They figure that the remainder of their bees have resistance.

Dr. Shiminuki recommends stopping the use of terramycin "one yard at a
time", presumably because he would expect at least some yards to show
resistance.

Something seems to be wrong here.  Either AFB is not as endemic as described
or resistance is widespread.

Comments?

Lloyd
Mailto:[log in to unmask]
Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
Visit our web site at http://www.rossrounds.com.