Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2016 10:53:35 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)

Subject: Re: [BEE-L] Formic vapours

Bob, how well do the o-rings in the syringe hold up to formic exposure?

In reply to Randy's question on formic and o-rings, they don't like the formic and expand in about 6 months to a year.  Also the plastic gets brittle.

The last thing I do before leaving the yard is to fill the drench gun container and drench bottom board slides with formic on paper towels.  The first thing I do on entering a yard is observe the mite fall and clean the bottom board slides.

I solved the o-ring problem by rinsing out the drench gun after each yard and leaving the gun full of water.  I get at least two years out of a gun unless I stand on it. I also apply a little petroleum Jelly to the felt pad just behind the o-ring to protect that also.  You can vary the amount delivered with a drench gun and it's fast.
(I'm only operation 180 hives).

I also use the dri-loc 40 pads. I stack the pads on their side (holes/printed side to the left) in a plastic snap lock container and allow them to soak in the measured amount of acid over-night. I get them out with small stainless tongs. They are soggy but not dripping. The number put on depends on how big the hive is.

I find the dri-loc plastic coating a little messy; white plastic in the grass in front of the hives if you allow the bees to clean them out.

Frank Lindsay
Wellington NZ

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2