Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:34:00 -0500
If beekeeping was a newly emerging industry I am sure the hive would not
look at all as it does today.  Ergonomics is not just another buzz word of
the 90's, designed to keep consultants gainfully employed.  I work in the
safety department for a large corporation.  We have learned how a properly
designed workplace or job function prevents accidents and injuries.

I don't see any major design changes in the equipment we use but some simple
modifications can be made to make the work safer and easier.  I refer to
full depth supers as hive bodies.  IMHO this is all they should be used for.
 They are too heavy to handle when filled with honey.  I know a commercial
beekeeper will argue this because of cost and efficiency of using just one
super size.  This true but most large operations have cranes, fork lifts
etc., that help to overcome some of the handling problems.

Regardless of what size super you use the first modification you should make
is to the handhold.  The half inch groove cut into the side is too small.
 Attach a cleat, at least 3/4 inch thick, above the handhold.  If you try
this you will immediately notice the difference it makes.  Lifting with just
the tips of the fingers is bad for the hands.  It may also cause you to rush
(because you may feel like it will drop), make a quick twist or turn and
injure some other part of your body.  The bigger the handhold, the better.
 You will have better control and when working colonies you won't upset the
bees by banging heavy supers.

I prefer the medium super to both the shallow or the deep.  If I was
starting all over, this would be the only size I would use. During the
uncapping/extracting process there is the same amount of work with a shallow
as a medium with less honey in the end, however shallows have their place
too.  I have a bad back so I use both shallows and mediums.  When the supers
are starting to stack up on the hive I try and have the shallows on the very
top (above 6 feet).  In the honey house I will place three shallows on the
floor followed by a few mediums and then shallows on the very top.  This way
when I bend to the floor or reach above five feet it is with the lighter
shallow.  This does not create extra work just some common sense planning.

When moving a colony, unless it is in the early spring and there is not much
honey left, I get a helper.  I use a two-person hive lifter and have no
problem with the weight.  Remember it is not how heavy an item is it is how
you lift that counts.  A major injury can happen from a poorly lifted 15 lb.
weight.  Use your legs whenever possible.

Outyards present another problem.  Placing honey supers in the trunk of a
car can really lead to an injury.  A pickup truck with a cap is not much
better.  You overextend trying to get the super in the truck over the tail
gate.   Removing the tailgate is an inconvenience, but helps a lot.   A
small trailer may be well worth the investment.

The important thing is to think about what you are doing before you do it.
 Whenever I investigate an accident or injury a number of times we find
 that is exactly what the employee didn't do.

Bee Safe
Ron Bogansky