From:
Jon Bucher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2014 13:08:01 -0400
Mr Rossman might speed up his family's fur adaptation by mating his sons to the German girls of my army days who were alien to the American concept of depilatory.

PLB's healthy bee might get sick unless, of course, there existed innate (genetic?) resistance or immunity.

If hygienic behavior and it's contribution to health is genetic it follows that other behaviors, biometrics and endowed behavoir are or might too.

Brother Adam's experience with Saharan bees in Devon was, among other characteristics, that they were prone to taking flights in weather that chilled their little beehinds to the point that they fell from the sky and died. Yet this race was ultimately incorporated into the Buckfast line.

While I have no opinion on the merits of the Buckfast bee, I see evidence of Br Adam's ability and understanding of breeding. He bred for stamina, fecundity, wing power, temper, burr and brace and other qualities. Today it is better understood that propilization  might have value in disease prevention and control. Tomorrow science will reveal more.

But, his ability to achieve specific goals gives weight to the idea that breeding is a viable means to a specific end.

Charles L is correct to imply that an out of town queen may out perform the locals. I have two Jonny Thompson VSH queens from Georgia who lay text book brood patterns. It remains to bee seen how they over winter and perform next year.

It may well happen that we will have 'all purpose' bees. Or, maybe one variety for migrants and another for the stationary beek who desires seasonal population modulation.

I am a rookie. I read but, lack on the job experience. Among my hives I will select top performing queens for breeding. I have bees from four different sources, I expect F1s to be less economically valuable. In two years I should have a better idea of who is who. I may add from the Pol line. It looks good to me.

The one thing I believe now is that GREAT success in breeding requires greater diligence.