From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 22:50:42 -0800
Bob & Liz wrote:

> --
> I have tried to get a breakdown from the USDA as to what degree of =
> africanization is necessary for a bee to be considered africanized.

Bob, I would answer this question in a heartbeat, but (after 15 years in
morphometrics) I don't understand it. I know Daly and Balling's 1978 paper is
hard to get, but maybe reading it would cause you to rephrase the question. I
stand ready to try to interpret the morphometrics. There is a percentage
reading in the final computations -  I believe anything over a tough standard
of 95 percent probability is considered africanized by the program - maybe
that's what you are referring to.

> I =
> have also tried to find out details about the Erickson/Hines project  =
> but only general information has been released.

So far as I know, Lenard Hines is very open with the details, he has kept
extremely detailed records, and two or more publications have come out of this
project with him. It has never been a secret project.

> I have also tried to find =
> out if the USDA can tell a scut from a capensis. Surely a retired =
> researcher from one of the bee labs or a apiary inspector can answer  =
> those questions?

Well, hekkifiknow, Bob, and I spent 15 years on morphometrics!!  Really, I
don't think I ever read an article on
capensis morphometrics, except for Ruttner's early works, and that was too
complicated and inexact for
standardization. Maybe Steve Sheppard would know - he was the brainy one.  I
think the capensis comments now are
from the chromosome experts, and I never put lots of faith in those little
smudges in the gels.

> The USDA has been slamming doors in my face today. =
> Hmmm. Privately  I was told Dr. Hoffman is only a figure head  and not =
> directly involved with the research. Another USDA person indicated I was =
> on the right trail but was afraid of his job if he spoke openly. A =
> retired USDA said because he was now retired he could talk openly but =
> when I asked the million dollar question he never emailed me back. Hmmm.
> Maybe others will get better results.

Well, I can't tell if any of these refer to me, but, for future reference, let
me say that sometimes I don't check my email more than weekly. Being retired
is keeping me busy.  ;-))
   - Ol' Gray John, Vancouver, WA