From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:48:18 -0600
Lynn Osborn wrote:
> It was my intent to not treat again with Checkmite.  I consider it
> the big gun and was doing the mite count to see if I could get away
> with a much less toxic chemical.

Trouble is, once you use Checkmite+, your comb is contaminated.  Not a lot,
and maybe it does not matter, but, for monitoring natural drop (ND) is very
nice.  ND is easy, too, especially if you already have screened bottoms.  I
usually do a one-week ND (or longer), then divide by the estimated days and
multiply by 100 to guess the load.

ND is very reliable,especially if the time period is a week or so.  IMO,
anyhow, and if you are not trying to go right to the threshold of economic
damage or collapse.

> I was thinking that I would try
> Sucrocide or maybe just smoke them with Sumac and try to knock them
> back for winter.

If you have used Checkmite+, then no need.  Or are you saying that you just
put it in for a day or two to see what drops, then plan to remove it?  If
so, it looks like you don't have a really heavy load, assuming that you used
the proper number of strips.   I'd guess your beginning infestation was
about two or three times what you drop in the first few days before the
curve goes flat.

As for smokes, I'd be careful.  Sometimes the ill effects on bees are
delayed.  We used to think cardboard rolls were a great idea for our
smokers, but someone proved that there was a bee kill for a few days after
the smoking...

Less is more.

> If there are only a few I might have to do very
> little to reduce them back to what they were at this time last year.

I think you are right, and as long as you monitor, then you should have
plenty of warning before trouble erupts.

allen
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/