From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2010 08:04:09 -0700
>if cod is contagious as Jerry B. thinks shouldn't the hives alongside be
starting to crash?

Some of the hives were treated with an antiviral treatment.  Also, CCD
doesn't necessarily kill every hive in an apiary.  BTW, Jerry is hardly the
only one who observed CCD spreading from one drop of hives into nearby
holding yards, and progressing physically across the yard.  Commercial
beekeepers are the ones making those observations.

> >You call these hives CCD because?

Bob, I've studiously avoided calling the collapses in my test yards "CCD."
I use the term "CCD-like collapses."  CCD is merely a description of
symptoms.  The hives in my test collapsed with exactly the same symptoms as
CCD collapse after they were inoculated with a virus extract collected from
a large commercial beekeeper's operation when it collapsed with what he
called CCD.

>I would like to see a test where Randy can take a hive of Russian/Russian
bees and make the hive crash with his virus concoction.

Great idea Bob!  FDA protocol demands that I destroy all the inoculated
hives, but perhaps I can test with some of my Russ/Russ bees first.

> Does his virus concoction create a hive with All the described CCD
symptoms or simply make
a hive crash?

All described CCD symptoms, but some robbing does eventually occur.  Hard to
tell on the robbing issue, due to low temps and natural flows on.

>Bailey documented being able to crash a hive with various virus concoctions
years before CCD.

And who's to say that Bailey wasn't seeing an earlier form of CCD?

Re the lack of PMS in Russians, this jibes with observations from others
breeding for survivor stock.  It appears to me that breeding for virus
resistance is every bit as important as  breeding for mite resistance.

Randy Oliver