From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:16:45 -0400
> Up here in Canada, getting good stock is even worse, since many of the US
specialty breeders are unwilling to face the paper hurdles and fees our
protectionist 'representatives' have thrown up to 'protect' our bees.

> I would love to be able to identify and purchase bees which can eat AFB and
keep going, which don't succumb to nosema or mites and which winter and
produce honey, too. I know they are out there, but I am really having
trouble identifying and sorting them with any degree of confidence.

> I know I do have access to some good commercial strains and they are better
than in the past, but to make any improvement, we need to move beyond 'good'
and 'OK'.

Pardon the quotes, but this was an important topic -- to me at least -- until it was stopped dead by some nonsense and I am applying the paddles in hopes of reviving it.

The topic went off-list and to other venues and I got some useful ideas, however I would like to get the discussion back out into the light of day and specifically onto BEE-L wher it is one the record adn hopefully some of the writers here will start beating the drum in their articles and editorials.  (Hint, hint).

I'd appreciate hearing about experiences with various strains, including the so-called survivor stocks and recommendations or warnings.  Hopefully Moderation can keep the topic protected.

Anyone?