Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 2015 07:59:13 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (54 lines)
Hi JB,

Thanks for sharing, I just watched the video.

Like you've already suspected, the beekeeper dipped the queen in sugar water to make her more "attractive" for the workers of her new nuc colony. I imagine the reason is that he wants the workers to approach and take care of the virgin queen as soon as possible.

Best,
Ulrike

Dr. Ulrike Lampe
 Bee Health Advisor
 NOD Europe Ltd.
 Grosse Hohl, 67354 Roemerberg, Germany
 t.  49 (0) 160 926 07457
 w. www.nodeurope.eu

Please add [log in to unmask] to your safe sender email address book today.
CONFIDENTIALITY. The content of this message and any attached information is confidential and exclusively for the use of the addressee. If you are not the addressee, we ask you to notify to the sender, do not pass its content and delete the original.

--------- Original Message --------- Subject: [BEE-L] Queen Acceptance; German Translation
Date: 3/25/15 3:53 am
To: [log in to unmask]

In a video I was watching about beekeeping in Austria on You Tube, I witnessed a beekeeper who "doused" his virgin queen in a jar of what appeared to be sugar water, or honey-water...before introducing her directly into the mating hive.
 It seemed this was a fairly large breeder who used this procedure, and so I felt it may have some relevance.

Unfortunately, I do not speak a word of German. Would anyone on this forum care to translate what the narrator is saying. I am specifically attempting to learn what the liquid is in the jar. I presume it works on the same principle as masking a pheromone, or on the fact that bees usually accept drifting bees if they arrive at the entrance with nectar or pollen.
 I am particularly interested in this method, as this year I am allowing my sealed queen cells, to hatch in an incubator, and in this manner, I can select some of the qualities of the virgin queens before introducing them to the mating nucs.

You can view the youtube video here. You may have to copy/paste this into your browser, because I do not know the control characters to make this link active.

https://youtu.be/olfDOmMJI6s?t=1m41s

Thanks,
 JB

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
 LISTSERV(R) list management software. For more information, go to:
 http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2