From:
Keith Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 09:33:59 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, May 18, 2007 8:52 am
Subject: Re: [BEE-L] Media coming around on CCD
To: [log in to unmask]

> >>Also if pesticides are source of CCD then nothing to research. Hmmm.
>
> Provided pesticides are to blame, would this ever be exposed given
> the chem companies financial might?  Sorry but asking Bayer to
> test
> honey for traces of their chemicals, is like asking the fox to
> guard
> the chicken house.

I thought there were providing metabolites for others to use in their
testing.  Bayer hasn't offered to do the testing themselves.  Why?
Prolly because they know someone would say just what you did.  I would
be happy to be corrected if I am wrong about that detail.

> To me, bees are the proverbial canary in the mine.

> If they are
> affected by chems from our food crops, humans are also affected.

Yes, No and Maybe.  There are a number of products that make use of the
differences in mamalian and arthropod physiology such that it kills one
and leaves the other undamaged.  There are things that will kill bees
and leave humans unscathed.  Killing things is complicated business,
let us not simplify it to the point that we make generalizations and
lead ourselves astray.

Keith