From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2013 15:53:44 -0400
>> ...bacteriastatic, they don't kill the bacteria,
>> they just stop it from reproducing

> This is how antibiotics control Foulbrood...
> Sooner or later, all the spores have either
> germinated and died, or else the bees have
> removed them through normal housekeeping
> processes. Of course, while spores are present
> in the combs, the infection can recur.

Not sooner. Later. Much, much later.

For those unaware, a sample of AFB spores from 1924 was cultured, and
germinated just fine in the 1990s. (Shimanuki H., and D.A. Knox. 1994.
"Susceptibility of Bacillus larvae to Terramycin". American Bee Journal
134:125-126)

So, I am not going to expect Foulbrood to "die", as a typical spore appears
to be able to outlive many beekeepers.

Just in case any novices are reading this, shake the bees into new gear, but
burn the hive.  There is no reason to kill the bees just because you
couldn't smell foulbrood when it was only a small problem that could have
cost you no more than a brood frame.

...And the both brood frames on either side of that frame, for good measure.

...And the bottom board too, as one can never be too careful.