From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:41:38 -0400
Bob & Liz wrote:
> Why in the world would you use Apistan if you are running a test of small
> cell size?

It was not a test of small cell size, that is why I included the caveat
that I used Apistan. I agree with you completely that too often we hear
of a technique that works, only to find that other factors were
involved.
A friend had some extra foundation so I got it from him. I had been
losing one hive every winter. After shifting to small cell size, I did
not lose any. There was no way that I would not have treated with
Apistan. I only have three hives. Science only goes so far when you have
three hives.

> What has small cell to do with tracheal mites?  Were you using any
> treatments for tracheal mites?  I know you said at one time you tried
> Buckfast bees.  Is this hive from a Buckfast queen or mating?

Have never had Buckfast. I have no idea if Tracheal is affected by the
small cell size. It was an observation. My bees are Carneolens which I
installed some six years plus years ago. I have not bought a queen
since. All are open mated. I did have tracheal problems with the
carneolens before I installed small cell foundation. None after- with
the same crisco patty treatment.

> Leave alone won't work in beekeeping today.  My tests with leave alone and
> todays mites.  Some will survive the first winter but none has survived the
> second.

> According to Dee Lusby small cell  only accounts for a third of her success.
> I would suggest those bees are hygienic and possibly SMR.

Could be SMR or hygienic but, as I said, the bees are still going strong
and have had one or two new open mated queens since then. He lives about
ten miles away. Mine took a dive after I shifted to larger cell size.
And we do not leave them alone but do treat.

> I believe the above should read "resistant to varroa bees" instead of
> "resistant varroa".

No, Apistan resistant varroa. Which, as I said, could also be the cause
of poor performance, vice small cell size.

> Dee Lusby stated to me in direct email her results with small cell improved
> greatly when they reduced from 5.0mm to 4.9mm.

I know, and that is why I said it may be the colder climate that allows
a "larger" small cell size- if cell size is the factor.

The only constant is the hive I gave to my friend, which still has small
cells, is still fine and continually outperforms rest of his colonies.
Mine are back to their pre-small cell size performance.

As I said, there was no science in my use of small cell size. My post
was to elicit comments from those who have tried small cell size, not to
confirm it works. But I am moving more in that direction. My bees were
certainly better off when I had it. It may not be the solution, but,
like open mesh floors, could be one more tool against varroa.

Always enjoy your posts, Bob. Hope I cleared things up.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME