From:
Tim Arheit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:15:12 -0500
At 09:10 AM 1/27/2006, you wrote:
>Has anyone in a "poor honey flow" area experimented with adding additional
>wax to sheets of plastic foundation

Yes.  In my experience it does help significantly.  With more wax on the plastic they use it to start drawing the sides more quickly.  I first noticed this in my observation hive where one are of the plastic had a large spot of much thicker than normal wax.  The bees drew it out first and even before they had any real need for extra room.  I subsequently tried the same in a standard by recoating half the frames in a super.

As Lloyd points out, you can either buy plastic foundation with the proper amount, or you can add your own wax if you already have foundation.  It as simple as painting on more wax with one of those cheap foam brushes.    Don't be concerned if the wax fills the bottom of the formed cells in spots, the bees will remove it for use in the cell walls.

-Tim

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.