From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2008 11:23:18 EST
I hate to bring this up, given the eloquent comments on the delights of
finding 'non-pesticide', original variety pears on an old homestead.

However. there is one caveat.  In the late 1890s until end of WWII,
orchard's were often laced with heavy metal-based pesticides.  Arsenic and
copper-based products were applied, often with a heavy hand.  Other  inorganics such as
sulfur compounds were applied.

These inorganic chemicals are composed of basic  crustal elements.  They are
not the long-chain carbon compounds  found in modern (post-WWII) pesticides.
The difference is that the carbon  chains break up.  The modern chemicals,
even the most persistent ones like  DDT, have relatively short (hrs, days, weeks,
maybe years for the most  persistent chemicals) life-spans.   Inorganic
chemicals, on the other  hand break down to their basic elements - arsenic, copper,
lead, etc.

These metals are extremely persistent in soils.  No surprise  here, we
extract them from the earth.  We've looked at inorganics for more  than 30 years.
Old orchards almost always have high background levels of  heavy metals.  So,
your beautiful pears may have been 'protected' by in  soil inorganic
pesticides, which may still be translocated up into the trees  each year.  The cycle of
up from the soil, out to the leaves and fruit,  drop in the fall, decompose,
and go back into the soil is commonly known and  seen.

Sorry to bring in a downside, I can imagine the delight in finding these
pears. Just don't assume that they are pesticide free.  Hopefully, with  time,
the metals have leached away - they don't ever go away, but they may go  deeper
or get dispersed to the point that any specific area has very low  levels.

Jerry
5 Travel Deals!