From:
"Coleene E. Davidson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 16:38:51 -0400
As a hobbiest, the NHB doesn't affect me.  I keep bees for the enjoyment and
sell honey, only because I have more than I can use.  A question I have,
however, is how can the affore mentioned organization be called the National
Honey Board, when importers are required to pay an assessment.  Should it
not be called the International Honey Board.  Because of the assessments on
imported honey, the obligation is to promote without prejudice for U.S.
produced honey.  Perhaps I am being naieve, but why would somone belong to
such an organization when dumping is what is driving the price down.  Would
it not be more prudent to establish Producer Co-Ops to produce, package and
promote U.S. Honey?  Orange growers are doing it and so are milk producers.
The Co-Op could collect assessments and provide local universities with
funding for specific research in an area that would benefit the area that
the Co-Op is located in.