From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2016 12:30:57 -0400
My degrees are in zoology and entomology.  In the USA, entomologists follow the guidance of the Entomological Society of America, which as mentioned, specifies that the common name is honey bee - I have argued this with many editors, even some for peer-reviewed science journals.

Webster's uses the combined term honeybee based on the American tendency to use a nouns as a modifier in place of an adjective.  Take the word greenhouse.  Originally green house, then green-house, finally greenhouse as the term became more and more a part of the language.

As per the entomological society, the latin name is two words for genus (Apis) and species (mellifera).  The common name consists of two words, honey and bee to refer to Apis mellifera.

I think most entomologists would argue that there are many types of bees - it's bad enough that the general public and many editors don't know that Vespids (wasps, hornets, mud dabbers, etc.) are not bees (just because they all fly and can sting doesn't make them bees).  No one confuses Formicids (ants) with bees or Vespids; yet almost everyone calls Vespids bees.  Therefore, we get stories about fire fighters in the woods being attacked by bees.  Bees pestering people at picnic tables.  Bees coming from a crack in the walk and stinging people.

Returning to bees, there are bumble bees, sweat bees, leaf cutter bees, alkali bees and so forth.  By combining the two words, honey+bee, it's my opinion that one implies that this bee is more important than all other bees.  It's so important, so superior, that it gets to claim the distinction of being the super bee - HONEYBEE!  I realize many may think this is true, and much as I like honey bees, I'm not ready to relegate all other bees to some second class group.