From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2007 03:59:38 EST

In a message dated 04/11/2007 00:30:05 GMT Standard Time,  [log in to unmask]
writes:

the pot  O' money at the
end of the almond rainbow.

My understanding from reading this list is that no other vegetation is
tolerated in almond plantations. Is this so and, if so, why?  I could  understand
that maybe almonds are a poor source of forage for bees as here in  the UK a
well managed apple orchard will have its dandelions mown out at  flowering time,
but at other times it would appear to be poor husbandry to  eliminate other
plants.  They create and retain topsoil and provide a ready  source of moisture
retaining mulch for the almonds. They would also enable bees  to be kept
there all year round!

Chris