From:
Dave Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 10:42:26 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>,
"Allen G. Meek" <[log in to unmask]> writes
>As a new hobby beekeeper I have questions about Apistan.

Where to start! Apistan is a strip impregnated with a synthetic
pyrethroid known as tau-fluvalinate. It is designed to dispense the
compound by contact with it, as you say, it rubs off. The particular
formulation of the chemical used is not really soluble in water (and so
honey) but is partly soluble in wax. Some studies have shown that honey
in contact with wax for a long time can become contaminated with
fluvalinates but so far a different preparation of the chemical
(eg.Mavrik) has been responsible. As a beekeeper therefore your concern
is to limit the residue in wax. There is a problem in that the residue
becomes locked into the wax (rather like in the strips) and so will not
be exposed to UV light which would eventually break it down, or
transported around. So it doesn't breakdown, isn't effective and it's an
unlikely souce of aquired immunity. We know from research that in the
main the residue is found near where the strips were placed and the
reason supers are left off is to prevent the compound being incorporated
into the newly constructed wax, rather than control its transfer to
honey. Confining the bees and chemical to the brood will also improve
the efficiency with which its dispersed. Control of the dose is very
important because of the strategy we need to use to delay the
probability of suceeding mite generations reproducing a chance
resistance to the chemical. I find the genetics of this rather trickey
so get someone else to explain that one. The upshot is that you follow
the instructions, use them and then take them out.

A good summary of the technical and toxicological data available for the
compound can be found at <http://ace.ace.orst.edu/info/extonet/ghindex.h
tml> and doing a search for 'fluvalinate'. As far as I know the most
significant risk to human health is the chance of some hypersensitive
people developing a skin rash so Sandoz suggest gloves!
--
Dave Black
Blacks Bee Gardens,