Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 19:00:19 -0600
david yates wrote:

>         Would someone be kind enough to explain to me how to feed bees using the
> "baggie" method?  If this has been covered recently on the list, just email
> me with the details.

Pour the syrup into a 1 gal heavy duty ziplock bag. I usually fill the
bag 1/2 - 2/3 full - any more and you'll probably have spillage during
the cutting phase of the operation. Lay the freshly filled baggie(s) on
the top bars of the uppermost box in the hive. Using a single edge razor
slice the bag lengthwise - 2 or 3 cuts will do. Keep the cuts a couple
of inches from all edges of the bag. My feeder usually has some air that
bleeds out then a little syrup dribbles out - a few dribbles are good
since they signal the bees "dinner's on". Place an empty super on the
hive and then the cover. I will sometimes use two baggie feeders if the
situation seems to call for it. This method is appropriate for late
summer/early fall or spring, but not winter since you'll have to open
the hive more often than with the larger feeders.

I've noticed that an hour after starting the feeding, the bees are
especially crazy in the vicinity of the hive. I've decided that it is
because they have a dance for food at a distance, a dance for food
nearby, but they don't have a dance for "its in the attic".

Hope this helps.

AL