Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 15:56:05 -0400
I think some people overdo the insulation and sealing of their hives; Like with our homes, if you create a completely sealed space, vapour can't move.  New homes require HRV and air exchangers to control moisture and supply fresh air.  I've met local beekeepers who have hives wrapped in a solid 2" of extruded polystyrene... I checked out a hive that was very dead, it was so humid inside it was like a sauna! No top entrance or means of venting moisture.

Not to sound like a spokesperson for Allen, all advice is to be analyzed and taken with a grain of salt... but the advice I've seen from him was "If your predecessor was successful, retain the same management styles until you know enough to try something different".  My predecessor, and now myself, wrap in black plastic "bee cozies", top and bottom entrance, and a large outer cover.  This large outer cover hangs down on sides/rear to keep snow and moisture out of the hive wrap, and overhangs the front to keep the top of the hive wrap protected.  Bees can still fly, and air/moisture can still vent.  I've now got more hives than I do "winter covers", but I'll be using the ones I've got.  My winter losses are zero/minimal at best.

2011/2012 was 1 of 11 "dead"... small cluster in the fall, predicted it's demise.

2012/2013 was 1 of 13 "dead"... queen failure.

Doug Tompsett

Sudbury, Ontario