Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 09:00:29 -0500
Robert (Scott) Fairing says:
"I am in need of a little advice. Two new queens are due to arrive from
Texas tomorrow. ... What is the best wayto keep her safe nd in good
health until I can make the split. ..."

It is recommended to put a drop of water on the screen end away from the
candy once a day and to keep the queen cage out of the sun at room temperature.
I don't think you want to get the queen either overheated or too cool.  I have
used a small piece of "cotton swab" soaked in pure water and placed on the end
away from the candy (on the screen) and kept one queen for a long time that way
(it seemed like at least a couple of weeks or more) and still had a successful
introduction.  Of course it's best to get them introduced as soon as you can.
One minor problem using the cotton swab is that sometimes the bees catch the
fibers in their tarsi and pull them through the screen as the cotton dries
but that's usually not too much of a problem.  The attendant workers need the
water to help them eat the queen candy and feed the queen.  Good luck.

Layne Westover
College Station, Texas