From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2010 07:20:37 -0700
Thanks Allen,

You cover the basic points.
Here in our wet Calif winters, a dry bottom is essential--bees do poorly if
there is a puddle on the floor.
Even though we are much warmer than in your area, if the cluster has moved
to the upper box, bees are loathe to go clear down to the entrance to fly on
cool days.

The contradictory info involves the ability of the colony to thermoregulate
with multiple entrances, and the question as to how necessary some of that
winter moisture is in very dry winter climates such as yours.

Randy Oliver