From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2008 07:26:37 -0400
Steve Noble  wrote:
>  I would have thought that in warmer climates you would have a broader
>window of time within which to treat since brood production is able to
>continue further into the later months.

The problem is not the window but staying a head of the curve. Anyway, I was
just making a standard disclaimer: I am concerned primarily with the mite
problem in the north. We have the fast spring buildup, the rapid expansion
of the colony size, and the main honey flows occur in summer and fall. For
many of the beekeepers in this area this produces a very large population of
mites at a time when the supers are on.

The point is, if you wait till after the flow to knock down the mites, it's
probably too late. So something has to happen in mid summer to curtail mite
buildup. Whether that is a brief but intense application of formic, diligent
drone brood removal, splitting all of the hives, requeening, depends on the
individual. But something has to be done or the bees are unable to properly
condition the colony for winter.

I have seen 90% losses this year and I think it is due to colonies being in
poor condition going into winter. There has to be a large percentage of
young winter bees. If they have a lot of virus damage in fall they can't
pull it off. One of my neighbors allegedly went from 2000 to 1000 in fall
and by the time they got Florida they were down to a few hundred. Others who
stayed here had the same experience only they didn't find out until spring.

They need something that will work, not just ideas.

pb