Date:
Thu, 19 May 2011 19:00:41 GMT
From: Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
>I am sure we don't want to get into an argument about transgenic crops again, but I would like to point out that people tend to be afraid of new things they don't understand.

Peter, you posted this to Bee-L, and it is a specific concern about a specific possible effect/side effect of GMO crops.  I have no opinion as to the merit of the concern, but it is a specific one rather than a general fear of something not well understood.

The letter from the 26 corn scientists points out (I think correctly) that part of the marketing/sales/distribution/use plan of GMOs intentionally makes it difficult (or impossible) for science (outside of the developers of the products) to even attempt to understand this "new thing".  If irrational fears are quelled by understanding, the system seems to be setup to prevent that from happening even if the fears are irrational.

deknow