Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:33:26 -0500
"I really dislike a hive with a mix of wood and plastic frames."

Which is the reason I am shifting to just one kind of frame/foundation.

When I was the editor of our State Newsletter I would trial just about
anything that came down the pike so other beekeepers would or would not go
down that path. The result was an eclectic mix of frames and foundation.

Even a hobby beekeeper has trouble keeping it all uniform and I was even
worse as, when I was in the worst part of my cancer, my bees suffered. It
has not been an easy road to recovery for the bees. They have 4.9, 5.0, 5.3,
duriguilt, plastic foundation, plastic frames, beeswax, wood, store bought,
home made, and a mix of all the above.

I did best when I was the most uniform, which is why, even though I did a
major cleanup this past summer of all my frames and got rid of foundation,
except what is in the hives, I planned for a shift back to a uniform
frame/foundation.

Further research convinced me of all plastic.

I thought my remaining all plastic frames were Pierco, but the trials were
long ago and I gave all my hard copy newsletter files to the next editor.
The articles may be on some floppys stored away in the basement, but I
figured that things change and there may be better manufactured frames now.
Obviously, Peirco is still the best or no worse than anything else.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine