Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 2010 23:22:30 -0800
>>  This is a post that appeared on another list this evening.  The situation is completely out of my realm of knowledge.   Thought if any of you had any thoughts/ideas you might post here with a carbon copy to Jeff.   Mike in LA

I made an alarming discovery in my yard today. . .one of my hives that 1

month ago was incredibly strong was completely dead.  And dead like nothing

I’ve ever seen.  The bees died so fast the corpses completely filled up the

bottom of the hive totally blocking the entrance.  We’re talking 5” of dead

bees ½ filling the bottom hive body.

Dead bees all over the combs.  No deformed wings. . .no signs of dysentery,

no indications of AFB (I sniffed every inch of everything).  There was a

spotty brood patter, but there was brood, eggs, etc. . .

This was literally a horror show (in human terms).  I’m completely stumped,

the only time I’ve ever seen anything like this was 20 years ago when some

of my grandfather’s hives were poisoned, but I’ve got 6 hives all around

this one (some just a few feet away) and they all appear just fine.

Any ideas here?  I’m at a total loss.

-Jeff     "Jeff Lunglhofer" <[log in to unmask]>