Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 2013 21:38:29 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
> 
> Took 2 MAQS each off 2 double deep colonies 8 days after treatment.  No queen loss. The stronger hive has a screened bottom the weaker has a solid bottom.  The stronger queen/colony had 12 frames of brood/eggs at the start of treatment.  The weaker queen/colony had 9 frames of brood/eggs.  It appeared from the brood pattern and age that the stronger queen had not stopped laying or if she did it was only for a day or so and that brood kill was minimal with only spotty open cells.  The weaker queen however had obviously stopped laying for several days as attested to by large patches of open comb with some capped brood on frames and only a couple frames with very young brood/eggs.  Due to the amount of open comb in this weaker colony it was hard to tell what the brood kill may have been.  The brood kill observed in the stronger colony appeared to be randomly located and not directly associated to the location of the 2 the MAQS.  The weaker colony has partially filled some cells with nectar in the mean time.    I did observe many dead mites (didn't take a count) on the bottom board of the weaker colony.  I also observed several young bees in both colonies with DWV which I typically find most of the summer and fall.  I will be taking mites counts (alcohol wash) in 7 days to see how counts have changed and if a second fall treatment is warranted.  

Scott
East Bay Area, CA USA
The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2