Date:
Tue, 8 May 2018 12:54:21 +0000
>>>  Dry ice...   Bees will be dead the next day.  Equipment will be safe to use.
<><><>    I wonder about the advisability of reusing equipment infected with AFB after the mentioned dry ice treatment.  The last time I had an infected hive I replaced the hive with a barebones hive - bare boxes, frames with foundation only, and placed the new hive in the location of the infected one.  I shook the bees into the new equipment then burned all the frames, brood, honey from the infected hive in a hole in the ground and when the fire died down buried it with the dirt removed from the hole.  I left the new hive alone for about three days or so and then started feeding it with sugar syrup and pollen patties.  The three day hiatus forced the bees to use up an honey (infected) carried over from the infected hive and in the process removed any AFB spores from the new colony.  I used a blowtorch to char (dark brown color) the interior walls of the infected boxes and bottom board and interior portion of the inner cover, anything touched by the bees while they resided in the colony, so that I could reuse the equipment.  The colony survived and I discerned no reinfection of the colony by AFB.
CAVAT:  I did this once and had success.  Whether this was by blind luck or was a result of good infection control process I cannot hazard a guess.  But....   if I were to have another hive(s) infected I would try this treatment again, watch the colony(ies) very closely and see if I got the same results.  I didn't save any of the infected brood nor any of the equipment inside the hive.  But... I did say the bees and the boxes, inner cover, and bottom board.
I don't recommend this as a possible treatment.  I'm just sharing what I tried, and had success with.  For what it is worth.  Any rebuttals to the treatment method are gladly accepted for consideration and discussion.
Mike in LA

 PS:  It was really painful to watch an infected hive placed in a hole in the ground and completely burned with all, or most, inhabitants still inside.