From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:56:00 -0600
> The splits raised its own queen and the combs came
> out mostly worker brood. If you put a comb into a colony that is
> queen right, a comb with a mouse whole or one that you cut out
> yourself, the bees seem to mostly draw drone brood. Don't ask me why,
> ask the bees.

Small clusters tend to draw worker comb.  Strong colonies tend to draw drone
comb.

Of course the matter is not entirely that simple, and other factors  such as
position in the hive, time of year, resources available, etc. may have an
influence as well, especially in cases which fall in between.

allen