From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2012 08:05:28 -0800
>I am hoping to compare how countries differ in their response to colony

> losses, considering biological, political, social, and economic aspects.

Hi Elaine,  as Leonard suggested, the Coloss reports help.  Also a number
of reviews listed in my recent articles at my website.

> >What's the data on colony losses over the past two decades?

Tough to find, but check the graph in my article in the next ABJ, in which
I track colony numbers and honey production in the corn belt.

> >How have honey yields changed over the years?

You can get data for most every year from NASS.

> >How much research is being conducted?

A great deal!

> >How powerful are the chemical (pesticide) lobbies, in comparison to
> the government?

Have strong influence, especially when they have research to back them up.
 But EPA and EFSA are not afraid of the companies.

> >Are public education initiatives successful?

Yes.  But unfortunately, many are based upon fear, exaggeration, and
repeating myths. In reality, nothing in nature is simple.  The regulatory
agencies must balance the impacts of pesticides upon the environment with
the desire of people to eat.  Pests take a large proportion of our crops.
 Farmers cry for pesticides to save them.  The system is not perfect, but
is working.

I live in the state which most closely tracks pesticide use.  I've gone
over quite a bit of the database, which is freely available.  I'm often
surprised to find that what I have long thought to be true is in fact not
supported by hard data.   So if one is going to start a public "education"
initiative, one should first fully educate themself!

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
www.ScientificBeekeeping.com