From:
Ted Wout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 1997 11:37:18 -0400
Michael Reddell wrote:
>I generally try to have a smoker and hive tool in my car all during the
>active beekeeping months, and for several years I had the unpleasant
strong
>odor of stale smoke lingering in the car.  I also tended to misplace the
>hive tool. Then I stumbled onto a pretty nice solution to the problem.  I
>found a surplus ammo box that was the exact size to fit my smoker in.
It's
>5.5"x10"x11" and air tight.  When I finish using the smoker I drop it and
>hive tool into the box and close it up.  The smoker dies out quickly for
>lack of oxygen, and no smoke gets into my car.  Then when I open the box,
>the unburned fuel is still ready to use and my hive tool hasn't been
>misplaced.
>
>This simple box has become one of my favorite beekeeping gadgets.

Adrian M. Wenner:
>>I second that motion!  For years I have used an ammo box for the same
purpose.  One must take care, however.  The boxes I use require that one
squeeze the bellows before latching down the cover.  The rubber "o-ring"
seal provides no chance for foul odors to get into the car.  I also keep a
hive tool (as well as a small screw cap glass jar with strike anywhere
matches) in the case.<<

I guess I'm a third.  We have used an ammo box of those dimensions to keep
personal hygiene items dry when camping.  Then I got the idea to use it for
the smoker.  Works great and you can get get one at the local Army-Navy
surplus store for less than $15.  I've only been doing it for about six
months though.