From:
David Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 00:24:24 -0500
In a message dated 96-03-11 00:03:16 EST, Bruce Hamilton wrote:

>In his book,"Beekeeping, The Gentle Craft", the author, John F. Adams,
refers
>to a poem titled, "Telling the Bees" by Emily Dickinson. I have searched
>everywhere for it, and have not been able to find it; so I am beginning to
>think that the author might be wrong. I have searched the bee quotations, on
>the Beekeepers Home page, with no luck, and a search of the title, on the
>internet only lead me to another poet,John Greenleaf Whittier, but no poem.

John Greenleaf Whittier (1807-1892) is the author of "Telling the Bees".  It
refers
to the once common belief that if the bees were not told of the beekeeper's
death, they would fly away from the hive.  (Source:  The Enn Cee Bee Buzz,
the
newsletter of the North Carolina State Beekeepers Association, Dec. 1992.)

David Martin  ([log in to unmask])
Raleigh, NC