From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2013 15:27:09 +0100
>... or we can try and mentor them

We do this - I am mentoring a new beekeeper at the moment.
My point was not that we should discourage new beekeepers - rather that we
should not try to talk everyone into keeping bees.  I have seen so many in
recent years who were persuaded to have bees by over-enthusiastic committee
members using what almost amounts to high-pressure sales techniques.  We
need people who really want to keep bees and are willing to spend time
learning.  If they do not really have a serious interest, the bees and
surrounding beekeepers suffer.

>For 30 years, my local association has manned a beekeeper building at our
local county fair.

Yes, do that several times a year.

>In recent years, I've piped the bees through a clear tube to the roof and
allowed them to fly
freely.  Everyone loves it.   But barrier of the glass still allows them to
maintain their fear that they must be protected from honey bees.
To address this, last year (and this) I set up a hexagonal open-top, 8-ft
high screened cage (black screening)

We use a closed observation hive and our screened cage probably rotted away
years ago.  Fear of litigation has put an end to any sort of display where
the a member of the public might get stung.  For the same reason, schools no
longer keep bees.  It is all very sad.  We encourage children with their
parents at our apiary meetings and it can be a joy to see how interested
they are - and how well some of them handle bees when given the opportunity.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W