From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:13:02 -0500
Hello All,
Early reports are high varroa loads for this time of year. One reason in my
opinion for those which used thymol over the last couple seasons is the
varroa load is higher in spring than what we were used to with chemical
strips etc. Why wouldn't there be with a less than 99% kill ratio?

Apiguard:
I have been hearing the same reports as Randy Oliver published this month in
ABJ about some brood loss due to Apigaurd. I think I know part of the answer
when using *the tubs*.
The maker says there are 60   50 gram doses but when using the provided
scoop most people  are only getting fifty scoops. The problem is dosage as
when you give only fifty scoops you are giving a fifth over dose. The tub
should provide 60 doses. I counted the number of scoops.

Eric Munsen has recommended 3   25 gram  doses instead of two 50 gram doses
( as per apiguard label) I think because of reported brood kill ( legal to
use in U.S.) but in my experiments I believe the problem lies mostly with
using 60 gram doses in HOT weather. Or higher when not leveling the scoop
and thinking more is better than the correct dose. The scoop I think simply
holds too much product but after a couple hives you can adjust your
application to get the 50 gram amount.

Miteaway two:
To use effectively you need to figure when four months has passed since the
last treatment and if  the bees have been *steadily raising brood* its time
to either use again or use another treatment. In my experiments I found my
bees followed EXACTLY what David V. ( maker of product) said at the ABF
convention in Austin,Texas. At the end of the four month period I saw varroa
levels rising and a general statement would be you have got around 30 days
to get a varroa control measure done.
After the five months I think bees which are not varroa tolerant could start
crashing.

Hope the above helps and thanks to Randy Oliver for another great article!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

--
believed to be clean.