Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2017 11:14:29 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I'm not talking about serious broodrearing--that doesn't normally take place until there is some pollen coming in.  I'm talking about the reinitiation of broodrearing.

Lloyd Harris, in his study when he overwintered bees in a shed in Manitoba, had one colony that came out of the shed stronger than it went in, due to broodrearing in the shed.  I've asked other Canadians--some who have checked tell me that they have been surprised to see brood when the hives come out.

Ahh   Different thought.    Ian did say many would have a tiny patch also. Hes running singles with 80/90 lbs of food into storage for close to 5 months.

I have seen many hives that will do odd stuff like keep small brood patches.  Always been strong hives with very young/late queens  Looked at a load last year that was in the valley and they had been requeened in late oct.  they were brooding up great right before xmas.  

I was working on the   "spring start" thought,  where they go into serious brood cycles maxing out the thermal mass capabilities of the hive.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2