From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 1995 16:26:10 -0700
> I have just had a colony diagnosed with American Foulbrood.  I know I need to
> burn the frames and combs.  I have heard however that the body, bottom board and
> cover can be reused if they are thoroughly scorched with a propane torch.  Is
> this correct?
>

> Secondly, despite preventative terramycin treatments, the nearby strong colony
> that was robbing the diseased colony appears to also have AFB.  It is not
> widespread yet, only on a few combs in a 2 deep super hive.  They are otherwise
> strong and there is a lot of healthy brood.  Is there any hope to continue
> treating it?  I would like to think I could pull it through since it is
> otherwise in good shape.

A common situation is for the weakest hive to be the first to have an AFB
problem and the strongest hive to be second.  It is likely the strongest
hive that will be the first to rob the weakened hive.

I wouldn't burn the frames, comb or bees unless it was extremely bad and
there were no bees left.  Here is a suggestion:

        Remove any frames displaying more than 1 or two cells of AFB.

        Treat with 2 times your normal amount of Terramycin.

        Repeat every 10 days. (both the culling and the TM)
        until 2 weeks before the honey flow and repeat after the flow.
        After a few treatments go back to normal amount of TM.

        Treat any colonies in the vicinity.

Good luck.

Eric Abell