From:
Kevin Roddy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 1995 20:26:08 -1000
Hello all--

just curious, but I've read a wide variety of materials are used in
beekeepers' smokers, such as oily rags, wood, dried plant materials,
etc.   I've seen beekeepers also warm up coals on a hibachi for 20
minutes and then putting them in their smoker.

Just a couple of hints I've discovered that work very well are:

                using little coals that are sold anywhere incense is
sold--usually 6-8 coals per package--maybe 98 cents-$1.59 a package.  You
just take a lighter and light the edge and it fires right up, and stays
lit for a good 2 hours.

                three beekeepers here swear by using dried pine needles
from ironwood trees.  They work great, produce thick cool smoke, and they
don't smell awful--

what do other people use?