Date:
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 12:56:38 GMT+0200
Hi all/Madelleine

I think the killer wasps you discuss are something along the line of
'Melanogaster (sp?? and species??)'.

These are blackish wasps, big wings and a long tube between thorax
and abdomen. They have a sting containing a tissue toxin which kills
about 7 cubic milimeters of flesh where they sting resulting in first
a swelling followed by a little hole forming.

I have been stung on numerous occasions by the south african
equivalent species and would take 100 bee stings in preferance to one
sting by these.

(I was once removing bees when suddenly I felt something akin to a
person with a nailgun moving slowly up my leg. Three of these wasps
had decided I was the enemy and that my leg should be seriously
damaged - quite unpleasant)

Keep well

Garth

Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
Eastern Cape Prov.
South Africa

Time = Honey

After careful consideration, I have decided that if I am ever a V.I.P
the I. may not stand for important.
(rather influential, ignorant, idiotic, intelectual, illadvised etc)