From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2007 21:11:46 -0400
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Were these the only 3 acres of woodland and therefore nest sites available
>to the bees or were they in the middle of a much larger area of woodland?

The story was written in 1909 at a time when the passing of great forests
was believed to reduce the feral population.  But the bees simply adapted
to what nest sites were available in the environment in using voids
located in smaller growth trees.  The area mentioned in the article was in
Illinois where forested areas still existed throughout the state at that
time.

My friend keeps asking, and I keep declining to help him remove some 4
plus colonies said to be living in an abandon church.  So the ½ mile
spacing rule seems not to be a rule the bees want to follow.

1909:
"Bee hunting is a thing of the past,
but the bees are here more plentiful
than ever. The old-time colony with
50 and 100 pounds of honey is not
found. They have been compelled to
use the smaller trees for storehouses,
which soon become overstocked and a
new home must be found. Thus the
colonies are smaller and more numerous."

Best Wishes,
Joe