From:
Doug Keeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2014 12:23:47 -0500
Juanse Wrote:

are the same ones always ...
The ones that oppose GMO are the ones making the noise against Neonics.
The thesis is big agrocrops are bad. Bad are GMO seed, bad are the seed
coating.
The only solution "before the end of the world" is organics and all
the quasi-scientists
Steiner type Biodynamic Agriculture
Most probably the next non-tariff barrier from EU will be agrotoxics
residues in honey.

Hopefully "la verdad" succeeds soon ...
-------------------------
Juanse points to a huge problem for the world’s potential best use of science, pesticides and genetic tinkering. I don’t think science as usual is up to the challenge of changing deeply felt negative emotions.

There is a vast and growing opposition to GMOs and “unnatural food” which at its heart is no different than any religion which generates deep emotions.  It is as easy to change a person’s feelings about their religion as it is to change their feelings about GMOs and better pesticides.

I’ve been trying to figure out how to effectively lead people to making such changes as warranted. And I see no evidence that science has that effect; sometimes it doesn’t even work on scientists. “Science moves forward one funeral at a time.”  (Who made that quip first?)

I am highly confident that it was and remains a huge mistake for GMO vested and moneyed interest to oppose GMO labeling initiatives.  In the simplest terms, in a battle for a person’s feelings one must never hide, nor appear to attempt to hide information.

As an example, historically, in fraud cases involving especially complicated accounting matters, the path toward the ultimate theft can be deliberately made so complicated that neither judges nor juries can understand it.  But juries do conclude nefarious intent existed when they see evidence of covert efforts to hide or encrypt information.

It's a universal human response.

I once thought I might be able to interweave something about benefits of genetic modification into a heroic telling of Norman Borlaug’s life story; saving a several hundred million lives by dint of really hard, smart work and self-sacrifice seems pretty heroic to me.  But then I discovered an entire group of people who promote negative feelings about wheat – especially “the new wheat” like those Dr. Borlaug developed.

The whole matter is very discouraging but I’m looking for ideas.  Please contact me off list if you have helpful ideas and bees aren’t in some way involved.

I’m certain that funds can be found to promote “la verdad.” But any campaign intended to influence these feelings must involve a fully open Kimono with respect to all matters, and especially with respect to financial matters. The effort would die and ugly death if a single cent came from the Corporation-That-Must-Not-Be-Named.

Doug