From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 23:19:16 -0500
>Randy mentioned that beekeepers hit with CCD two
years in a row could be put out of business.

And once out of business they can become Wal-Mart "greeters" or perhaps get
jobs pushing carts. if all you know is beekeeping then what other industry
needs those trained to keep bees? On your job application:
1. can raise queens
2. can make splits.
3. can move bees.
4.repair bee hives.
5. can assemble bee equipment,
6. knows how to extract honey from comb.
7. knows how to make comb honey.
8. pour beeswax.
10.etc.
Commercial beekeepers are on the endangered species list and have been since
WW2. Not a penny for beekeepers to rebuild outfits with (even in the way of
loans with interest).

>Jeff said: "no clear picture" has emerged about what¹s
causing CCD.

With 2 and a half million hives in the U.S. there will never be a clear
picture. Maybe Jeff needs to contact J.--------. as he is positive he knows
what is causing CCD. a Pathogen.

I still hear that some hives do not have problems with nosema ceranae.
Certainly not from what I have seen! N. ceranae soon infects the whole yard
with dwindling hives and many crashing.

solution.
use fumidil drench as per label if bees will not take feed. Repeat as needed
and in cases of high nosema ceranae spore counts the bees may not thrive
until comb is cleared of spores.

We see hive populations many times dropping fast when corn starts to tassel.
However
usually only when the bees are surrounded by huge corn acreage with little
other pollen sources.

one solution:
quit letting corn growers use pesticide treated seed year after year in the
same field.

Beekeepers in Florida reported huge problems with bees in orange groves and
tell me the illegal use of temik is responsible. They say growers are able
to buy temik for other label uses but are using on citrus.
solution:
ban temik in the U.S. like in the U.K.

We know that all comb which has had fluvalinate & coumaphos used needs
rotated out of brood nest and replaced.
solution:
stop selling those products.

We know that if you use Miteaway 2 that varroa control fails between 4-5
months of heavy brood rearing ( David Vanderdussen)

Solution:
commercial migratory Beeks need to treat twice a year. You can not treat
before almonds and then treat again in September if using soft treatments.

We know that if your equipment is full of nosema ceranae spores you will
most likely see nosema ceranae control problems fast when new bees are
introduced to the comb.

solution:
acetic acid.

I am only a beekeeper but if I was the representative of the USDA-ARS the
above would be my advice to beeks.

 Use at your own risk and may or may not be the advice of others on BEE-L!

bob