From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 15:06:12 EDT

All

We often get requests to present from Bee Associations who can't afford to
bring us to them, and unfortunately we don't have travel funds to just go
visit anyone who asks.  We also have times when a beekeeper, grower, or  small
group of people would like to talk to us, share ideas.

Toward that end, we have installed a group video conferencing system  in our
University Offices. It uses a Polycom VSX 7000 system which is becoming
fairly common in Universities and many businesses.

This isn't your simple camera ball on a laptop, but it also isn't a  one-of-a
kind-conference system.  Tandberg sells a similar, compatible  system.

Our Polycom system is on 7/24 in a dedicated room in my outer Bee
Alert/EPSCoR office on the UM campus.  Assuming you have a compatible  system at your
end, we have two-way video and audio, and we can plug in a  laptop and share
presentations such as Power Point shows, and show video  clips.  Its not the same
as being in the same room, but its not bad.   We see you, you see us, and we
can share information, presentations, etc.

This capability is part of the education and research outreach of the
Montana Dept. of Energy EPSCoR (Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive
Research) that I direct from UM (in my spare time, when I'm not conducting bee
research).

So, if you have access to a system on your end and want to do more than
simply talk with us on the phone, we can have meetings with full
audio/video/presentation capabilities.  If you want us to present to your  group, and you meet
in a room that has one of these systems or where you can  plug one in (many
Polycoms are portable, just need a high speed internet  connection), we should
be able to arrange it.

To dial the UM DOE/EPSCoR Office (also known as jerrys.office) from  your
Polycom or Tandberg, call:

192.73.48.66 # # 615364.     You need to include  the # # keystrokes.
Apparently, you have to pound on the gatekeeper  :).

Thanks

Jerry

J.J. Bromenshenk

P.S.  I've three offices.  Best time to catch me on the Polycom  is in the
mornings, since I am usually across town in the afternoons.